Thank you to Becky at Strikeouts + Sprinkles for nominating me for this festive tag!
1. Thank the blogger that tagged you and link their blog to your post.
2. List the rules in the post.
3. Answer all the questions asked by the blogger.
4. Nominate some other bloggers and provide them with 12 new questions!
1. Thoughts on Christmas lights staying up all year round?
You know what, I’m fine with it. If you remove the word “Christmas”, they’re just lights. Why does an illuminated front yard need to be a seasonal thing?
2. When do you start listening to Christmas music?
The snarky answer is: Whenever my ears come in range of it.
But really, I don’t seek out Christmas music to listen to…
3. When is too early to start listening to/playing Christmas music?
November 1st is definitely too early. That’s 55 days before Christmas and it’s not like there’s a huge selection. I’m all for listening to the same songs on repeat for long periods of time, but 55 days in advance is a bit much.
November 26th is a good day to start. You’re less than a month out and won’t peak too soon.
4. How do you do your Christmas shopping—in the stores/online/combination?
In stores. It’s the worst. I go in with a game plan so I’m out within two hours/need lunch by the end of it as a reward. Every year, I’m nearly hit by a wild stroller pusher.
5. What’s your favourite family tradition around this time of year?
Opening presents on Christmas morning. We all have our own “spot”. My spot is next to the tree and I hand out gifts/slide them across the carpet. Makes me feel like a curler.
6. Real or fake tree?
What if a squirrel peed on the tree you picked out and now it’s in your house?
7. Favourite Christmas song?
“Jingle Bells, Batman Smells”. Not actually, though. I’ve just been looking for an opportunity to make that joke for the last two weeks.
I think my favourite is, “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” by The Drifters, for many reasons. The first one being, it was in Home Alone, so the nostalgia metre just skyrockets.
The second reason is, my dad and I sing it year-round and create new lyrics for it every time.
For example, one of us will get going in the background with “Ba duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh…” and the other will make up lyrics like, “I’m dreaming of a large pizza, just like the one I ate last week…”
And then when the person singing background gets to the “Weeeeeeee” part, the song is over and we laugh about it.
The third reason I like the song is because of this video:
8. Favourite Christmas movie?
Home Alone. There is no other answer to this question. I recite lines from that movie at least once a week. I’m a pleasure to be around.
Honourable mention: All I Want For Christmas. I don’t know where it ranks for me, but I remember seeing it on TV all the time as a kid and liked it.
It’s about a brother and sister who try really hard to pull off an elaborate scheme that will reunite their divorced parents for Christmas. It worked.
It was filmed in 1991 which plays to my love of 90s shows/movies, but also, one of the parents in the movie owned a diner and I remember the burgers and fries looking delicious. That’s a big reason why I like this movie.
Anyone else seen it/can vouch that the food looked good?
9. What’s the worst Christmas present you’ve ever received?
What am I going to do with socks? Wear them?
10. Who is the toughest person you have to buy for this Christmas?
There isn’t really anyone who is tough to buy for. It’s more like, there are no original gifts left to buy so it just becomes the same things every year.
11. Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph?
Gotta go with my boy Rudy. He’s a resilient leader, who benefits from being at the front of the formation, so he never has to catch any foul wind coming his way.
Frosty the Snowman will turn to water by March.
12. Do you have to attend any Christmas/holiday parties this season?
Your Questions Are:
1. What do you eat on Christmas?
2. Do you like wrapping presents?
3. Do the other reindeer feel slighted that they haven’t been asked to lead Santa’s sleigh yet?
4. What’s your favourite tree ornament?
5. What makes a good mall Santa?
6. Favourite Christmas movie?
7. Have you ever snooped around the house for your presents?
8. Is an inflatable snowman on the front lawn really necessary?
9. Do you like when your gifts come in bags?
10. If it doesn’t snow on Christmas, is it still Christmas?
11. Have you ever returned a present?
12. Alvin and the Chipmunks have made a lot of money off of their Christmas album. If you were to make a Christmas Album, what would your hit single be called?